In just a couple of months I will be celebrating 15 years of marriage. Although there were some things to be learned along the way, I feel both of us have gotten better with age. The years have honestly been good to us. We continue to learn one another. We’ve had our ups and downs, but here are the 15 things I am so happy to have discovered during my marriage.
- Our marriage wouldn’t work if we didn’t have our own personal relationships with God.
- My children are learning everything they need to know about marriage by watching us, so we better do everything necessary to get this right.
- There is no room in marriage for selfish thinking.
- It’s like a fine wine, it gets better with time.
- Sacrifices have to be made. It won’t work otherwise.
- My husband is my most trusted advisor and I care about his thoughts and opinions.
- I can’t fool my husband; he knows me better than anybody. Even when I think I’m getting away with something, he can see right through it. I love this.
- We can disagree and still get along.
- My marriage is made stronger by the company we keep. My life includes family of course, but other married couples and single friends who love and support our marriage.
- Other people are observing my marriage and may be making decisions based on what they witness.
- We have to be friends first.
- Time away for just the two of us is necessary.
- Being vulnerable strengthens my marriage.
- Being aware of my intentions and doing the right thing has minimized the drama.
- I made the right choice.
I thank God for allowing my husband and me to get to year 15. I dated quite a few frogs and some who I thought would be the one, I am so grateful I followed God’s plan for my life. He saved the right one for me. The things I’ve learned in these last 15 years were exactly what I needed to take us through the next 15 and beyond. And I’m really looking forward to it.